We love Beyond Meat! When we’re in a pinch, their Chicken-Free Strips are a perfect meat-alternative go-to and time saver. Whether it’s to cook up some fajitas or make Chicken Thai Satay Skewers (click for Beyond Meat’s recipe), you just can’t go wrong.
If you’re not familiar with Beyond Meat, here’s a little background. Named by Fast Company as one of the Most Innovative Companies of 2014, Beyond Meat made headlines launching a meat alternative that was pretty darn close to actual chicken in texture and taste, available in 3 varieties (Grilled, Lightly Seasoned & Southwest) With backers like Twitter’s co-founders Evan Willians & Biz Stone, how could they not be anything but a game changer in vegan food. So much so, that many people I know, omnivores & herbivores alike, were a bit freaked out by how close it was. “Wait. Are you sure this isn’t real chicken?” Yeah I had to ask that a few times too, even with some dishes I made with it.
One Saturday afternoon, I felt like making some chunky “chicken-like” salad. I threw together some ingredients we had in the fridge & fruit basket, almost like a Waldorf salad, but not quite. I wanted something sweet, creamy and filling that could stand up on its own. At the same time, something the Husbear would want, as he missed his childhood fave of a chicken salad melt sandwich. As Artichoke would say, a “whip up” was in order. The result was a vegan “chicken” salad in a vegan mayo-yogurt dressing with a bit of mustardy kick with a nice balance of fruit flavor. It was so good that it didn’t last long between us that I had to make more! Of course, I shared a photo (the one you see above) with folks right when I first made this dish. So, a bit overdue, here’s my recipe for Sweet & Creamy Beyond “Chicken” Salad. Please try it out and share your thoughts in the comments. I’d also love to know what you would make or have made with Beyond Meat!
Sweet & Creamy Beyond “Chicken” Salad
Source: A Macaroon’s Saturday Afternoon Lunch Craving
- 1 pkg of Beyond Meat Chicken-Free Strips, cut into cubes (Grilled or Lightly Seasoned)
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4″ rounds
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium pear, cored and chopped
- 1 medium apple, cored and chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 c. vegan mayonaise
- 1/2 c. non-dairy yogurt, plain & unsweetened
- 2 T. prepared mustard (dijon works nicely)
- 2 T. agave nectar
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- Sea salt & freshly cracked pepper to taste
- 1-2 T. sunflower seeds
- Coconut bacon as garnish
- In a large bowl, add Beyond Meat, carrots, celery, apple & pear. Toss with the lemon juice and set aside
- In a medium bowl, mix vegan mayonaise, yogurt, mustard and agave nectar
- Fold the vegan mayonaise mixture into the ingredients in the large bowl. Add the spices and sunflower seeds (optional), and give salad a few stirs
- Add salt and pepper to taste before serving
- Sprinkle coconut bacon as garnish (optional)
Don’t mind me. I felt like writing my initials in strips! Yeah yeah yeah! Mom said not to play with my food. When did I ever listen to that!
P.S. Beyond Meat has a new product line called Beyond Beef, the company’s beef-like grounds in 2 varieties called Beefy and Feisty. We’ve just started playing around with the Beefy as we have yet to see Feisty make an NYC appearance. We’ll be sharing some goodies about that soon enough!