You know we rock what Artie calls “whip-ups” on here. But what is a whip-up? It’s something we make on the fly that we love so much. We actually jot down the recipe as we work it in the kitchen. Then we share it out. We’ve turned out kitchen into a culinary lab. With that, Macaroon plays Bunsen to Artie’s Beaker in making an Italian “Sausage” and Kale Whip-Up that was made in a large sauce pan with some Tofurky Italian “sausage,” greens, tomatoes and “cheese.”
Italian “Sausage” & Kale Sauté
Source: The Food Duo Laboratory
- 1 pk of Tofurky Italian sausages
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb of cooked greens (can use frozen)
- 15oz. can of crushed tomatoes in juice
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 c. of vegan mozzarella cheese (cubed or shreds – your choice)
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spray a large sauce pan with cooking oil and set it over medium high heat. When pan is hot, pan fry Tofurky sausages for about 3-4 minutes on each side. When done, remove from pan and slice. Set aside
- After removing sausage from pan, add minced garlic and onions Cook until onions become translucent. Add the cooked greens
- Pour over tomatoes and add tomato pasta. Give all a quick stir. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Allow mixture continue simmering, as while stirring in 1/2 c. of vegan cheese, nutritional yeast, balsamic vinegar and oregano, salt and pepper. For heat, add in crushed red pepper.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 c. of vegan cheese. Cover pan with lid. Cook for 5 minutes until cheese melts.