We’re on Day 5 of VeganMoFo! WOO HOO!
Some of you know that I pretty much stayed out of the kitchen this summer, because of serious school, work and life commitments. I left a lot of our grub to Artichoke and our friendly vegan dining establishments. Thanks to Peacefood Cafe Downtown, BDJ, Terri and Gobo, among others for helping me get through it all.
Well, now summer’s just about over, and VeganMoFo has motivated me to put my creative chef’s hat on along with Artie’s chef’s jacket. During this lovely month of vegan food, I’ll be sharing some of my whip-ups with you all. The first one being a lovely take on a tomato cream “pink” sauce with Beyond Meat strips.
So, how can you make a “pink” sauce vegan? Well, of course, you need tomatoes. However, do you have to add some sort of nut or rice milk, silken tofu or vegan cream cheese? NOPE! Folks, let me tell you that the answer to all of life’s answers is not just “42” (even though that was my lunch order number for The Green Radish yesterday). It’s NUTRITIONAL YEAST, or NOOCH! Some of the best stuff on earth.
Mixing nooch into tomatoes naturally will thicken and lighten your sauce to a lovely shade of pink. It has a smooth, creamy, and yes, cheesy flavor that blends well with the herbs and spices used. Why “chicken?” Well, why not have some added protein, and have it be something other than a vegan meatball or sausage? It just makes sense…at least to me, Artie and the cats.
Tutti a tavola per mangiare!
Beyond Vegan Pink Sauce
Source: Macaroon finally back in the kitchen!
- 1 pkg of Beyond Meat strips (Grilled or Lightly Seasoned)
- 28oz. can of whole, peeled tomatoes
- 8-10 basil leaves
- 6 large cloves of garlic
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 c. nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/4-1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper (depends on how much “heat” you want)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut Beyond Meat strips into cubes, set aside
- In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil at medium-high. Add garlic and sauté until lightly browned. Toss in whole basil leaves
- When garlic is fully browned and basil is wilted, add in Beyond Meat and tomatoes with juice. Roughly break up the tomatoes in the pan
- Cook for 5 minutes before mixing in nutritional yeast. Sprinkle in spices
- Bring sauce to full boil for 5 minutes. Give a quick stir. Lower heat to simmer for 10-15 minutes
- When done, serve over your favorite cooked pasta or rice. Feel free to sprinkle on a little more nutritional yeast and black pepper for added YUM! If you have some roasted red peppers around, throw a couple of strips on top too!