Artie helped me out by steaming the Brussels sprouts and setting up the assembly line of dredging flour, “buttermilk” and breadcrumbs. I made my own Buffalo sauce, having made it in the past (easy peasy to do). I also found a great recipe for vegan bleu cheese, using a product I found at a local Mrs. Green’s Nature Market called Sunergia Soy Bleu Cheese (They make a feta we’ve yet to try, but the bleu cheese is awesome). It really took no time to get everything together and baked. I was so surprised to see how well the sprouts crisped up in the oven without drying out.
When it was timed to serve, Momma Mac thought our Brussels sprouts were some deep fried vegan veggie meat. When I told her what it was and that it was baked, she was excited to try one. Ever the skeptic on being herbivores, she said she was pleasantly surprised. I, being the ever skeptic of Mom compliments, waited for Artie’s response, which was “It’s good, babe” in mid-chew and nod! Oh and not to mention, I couldn’t stop eating them myself.
SUCCESS! A new yummy comfort food to add to our arsenal…and thanks to David Venable for the inspiration!
Mac’s Vegan Buffalo Brussels Bites
Source: Inspired by David Venable’s “Buffalo Brussels” recipe on QVC.com
Serves enough to have you make a “yum-yum” face (4-6)
- 2lbs. Brussels Sprouts, halved
- ½ c. all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 c. unsweetened soy milk
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 to 2 c. plain bread crumbs
- ½ stick of vegan margarine
- ½ c. your favorite hot sauce
- Dash of garlic powder and ground black pepper
(Note: If using Frank’s Red Hot, garlic powder is an ingredient…but a little more won’t hurt ya!)
- Dressing recipe from Chezbettay.com
(Note: I left out the lemon juice. I also didn’t have Worchestshire sauce. I replaced that with 1 tsp of Hungarian paprika and 1/4 tsp of garlic powder)
- Preheat oven for 375. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Steam Brussels sprouts for 3-4 minutes. Remove from pot.
- Prepare dredging flour by mixing together flour, paprika, garlic powder and black pepper and pouring onto a plate
- In a bowl, mix soy milk with vinegar. Allow it to sit for 2-3 minutes as it starts to thicken
- On a separate plate, add bread crumbs
- Using a few at time, dredge spouts in flour, then toss in soy milk mixture and roll in bread crumbs. Set, cut side down, on prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all sprouts are dredged and breaded
- Place baking sheet in the oven, and bake for 30 minutes. You may flip over after 15 minutes, if you wish
- While sprouts are cooking, prepare Buffalo sauce by mixing all ingredients together in a bowl. Prepare the Bleu cheese, according to the instructions at Chezbettay.com.
- When sprouts are ready, serve with vegan Buffalo wing sauce and vegan bleu cheese dressing
Not into breading? You can toss the Brussels sprouts in the Buffalo wing sauce and bake at 375 for 30 minutes.