Sharing an Oldie but a Goodie for VeganMoFo…
Originally posted on November 8, 2009
I’ve never had a vegan cream soup before. However, after our trip to the Dominican Republic and having a great vegetarian pumpkin cream soup, I decided that I wanted to make one of my own sans dairy, using fresh pumpkin that we picked a couple of weeks go.
Thanks to one of my new favorite sites, VegWeb.com, I found a great recipe, which I used as a base. I tweaked it quite a bit with fresher ingredients and added spices. I also decided to slow cook it with our trusted crockpot. It came out pretty darn good.
Pumpkin Corn Chowder
Source: Member corduroy posted on VegWeb.com
Serves: 7 one-cup servings
- 2 Tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 (10 oz.) package frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1 (16 oz.) can pumpkin
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon Turbinado sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons ground sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups vanilla soymilk
- Melt the vegan margarine in a dutch oven or large pot; add onion, and saute until tender. Add the corn and cook,stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the pumpkin and the next 4 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in th soymilk; cook until thoroughly heated (DO NOT BOIL).