If you didn’t know, New York State is a significant agriculture producer with numerous farms in the many counties in and around NYC. In fact, New York State is a major grower of apples in this country. There are a multitude of varieties of apples that you can find here from Acey Mac to Zestar.
Autumn in New York is beautiful. One of the reasons is being prime for apple harvesting. Picking apples with a backdrop of hills of red, orange, yellow and brown leaves is a beautiful experience. Every year, Artie and I make sure we indulge in it.
While on our recent vacation to Cooperstown, we took in baseball history with a bit of natural beauty. One of the things we had to do was go apple-picking. We found Middlefield Orchard in Middlefield, NY (about 5-10 minutes outside of Cooperstown) to be the perfect spot. After meeting the friendly owner, we stocked up on Honeycrisp, Cortland, Macintosh, Golden Delicious, etc., etc., etc.
What were we going to do with all of the apples? Well, eat them, of course! But we had so many that we brought most of them home with us. Since I had won a Babycakes Cupcake Maker from the lovely folks at MyFudo.com, I decided to make some homemade apple muffins.
Using fresh chopped apple with a bit of unsweetened applesauce ware the perfect base for the muffin. I also made a brown sugar and walnut topping to add to the texture and get a bit of a crunch. Everything came together nicely for a recipe I whipped up.
Making the muffins in the Babycakes Cupcake Maker was also pretty cool, because they were baked in about 5 minutes. Though smaller than traditional muffins, they were perfect for their size for a lovely snack or dessert. Not to mention, they looked cute in the little white liners that came with the machine. I think this is a top kitchen gadget in our home. However, now that we’re back to our weight-loss plan, I probably won’t get to use it again until Thanksgiving (mini apple pies are being planned).
- 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
- 4 Tbsp. Earth Balance
- 1/2 c. vegan cane sugar
- 1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 c. pure vanilla
- 1 c. flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 c. vegan brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Earth Balance
- 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 c. chopped walnuts
- In a medium bowl, beat 4 Tbsp of Earth Balance with sugar until creamy and smooth. Then, stir in the chopped apple, applesauce and vanilla
- In a second medium bowl, whisk the dry ingredients and then add to the bowl of the wet ingredient. Mix until ingredients are well-combined
- You will be making 2 batches of 8 muffins. Prepare the cupcake maker with liners for the first batch, close lid and turn on to preheat.
- While preheating, make the topping by beating 1 Tbsp of Earth Balance with the brown sugar and cinnamon. Fold in the walnuts. Divide mixture in half.
- When the cupcake maker is ready, open and fill the liners 2/3 of the way. Using the one-half of the topping mix, evenly distribute it over the 8 muffins. Close lid and bake for 5 minutes or until green light turns off, indicating muffins are done. Remove from cupcake maker and cool on wire racks
- Repeat steps 3-5 for second batch