Late Saturday night, while sitting at the kitchen table and listening to house music, Mac suddenly took interest in grapefruit. She began wondering what it would be like to make a dip with it. Salsa was the first thing that came to mind. With that, it was “quick whip-up” time! Taking a page out of my kitchen playbook, she started pulling out ingredients which she thought would go well with the grapefruit. After a couple of taste tests (I play a good guinea pig), we had a salsa that was not too sweet, not too tart and a little bit smoky.
We first tried it with some gardein Chipotle-Lime Crispy Tenders and it worked well. Next time, I think we’ll try it with some seitan and rice.
Source: Playtime with Mac & Artie
Makes 1 1/2 cups
- 1 ruby red grapefruit
- 3-4 sprigs for fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1/2 of a small onion, diced
- 1/4 Tbsp. cane sugar
- 1/8 tsp. cumin
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Peel the grapefruit completely, removing the pith (bitter white membrane under the peel)
- Section the fruit, then roughly chop
- Place fruit in a medium bowl and toss in mint and onion
- Stir in cumin, sugar, salt and pepper
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap or place in airtight container, and set in refrigerator for at least one hour or overnight before serving
|Salsa atop gardein’s Chipotle-Lime Crispy Tenders|