Have you ever had one of those days when you’ve wanted to just create something in the kitchen, but don’t know what to do make? It’s happened to me a few times, and it drives me nuts! I find myself stammering in the kitchen, pacing back and forth, looking in the refrigerator and cabinets. I also start going through cookbooks and websites to find inspiration.
This very thing happened to me on Saturday. At around noon, I felt like cooking. I had no idea what to do. I went into the kitchen, but couldn’t decide on anything. I started looking through some of my favorite recipe websites, and was still indecisive. I even posted a message on Twitter and Foodbuzz about my frustration!
Fast forward 4 hours. That’s when muffins came to mind. Began leafing through baking books for muffin recipes, thinking I would make one of them. I started pulling out the basic ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder and salt) to prep, when plans shifted. I decided right there to develop my very own recipe. About 40 minutes later, my very own orange-cranberry muffins were ready, cooling on wire racks.
I was scared to try one for myself. I wanted to wait until Artichoke was home for him to be my guinea pig. However, Momma Macaroon came over to hang out. She saw the muffins, immediately grabbed one and said they were really good! What made this even better was that she didn’t question them being vegan. She couldn’t tell the difference. HOORAY!
So the lesson is this, boys and girls: Indecision is the perfect opportunity for creativity.
Macaroon’s Orange=Cranberry Muffins
Source: Macaroon’s Indecision Coming to an End
Makes 12 muffins
- 2 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2/3 c. cane sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- Zest of one orange (approx. 1 Tbsp)
- Juice of one orange
- 1 c. plain soy milk
- 1/2 c. canola oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 c. dried cranberries
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Make a well in the center for the wet ingredients. Set aside
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the orange zest and wet ingredients
- Pour the wet ingredients into the well made in the large bowl. Mix until well combined. Fold in the dried cranberries
- Fill each muffin cup 2/3 of the way. Place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes