When it comes to food, if I set my mind to things, I have to follow through! I got a sudden craving for ice cream, but didn’t want to go to the store to make it. With leftover cashew cream in our refrigerator after making Artichoke’s lunch yesterday, I threw together what I thought would be simple vanilla ice cream. The taste was definitely there, but it turned out to be more like ice milk.
If you’re as old as me (not sharing age), you may remember Breyer’s Light Ice Milk. It was pushed for a bit as an alternative to the oh-so-evil-and-fatty ice cream. Being the vegans we are, without milk fat, I should have known I wouldn’t have gotten the true texture of ice cream. Nevertheless with very simple ingredients, the flavor was spot on, and I can live with that.
Vanilla Ice (Cashew) Milk
Source: Macaroon’s Determination to Have Frozen Treats
Serves 8 (1 scoop per serving)
- 2 c. cashew cream
- 2 c. non-dairy milk (I use French vanilla soy)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extra
- 2 Tbsp. Splenda Baking Blend
- Place all ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a container with an airtight lid
- Freeze for 6-8 hours, or overnight, stirring the mixture everything 30 minutes for the first 2 hours