Saturday was a lazy day. I spent the majority of it getting acquainted with a British TV drama on Netflix (it’s becoming a weekly thing now). After getting through most of Series 1 of Hotel Babylon, I looked over at the clock and saw it was after 6:20pm, and Artichoke would be home from work in about an hour.
Earlier, we had already agreed to just have a pizza, as we had an Amy’s Roasted Vegetable Pizza (No Cheese) in the freezer. By the time, I turned on the oven, it was about 6:30pm. At 6:45pm, the pizza was cooking. The time crunch seemed to inspire me. I decided we need to have something more. It was time for what Artichoke likes to call a “Quick Whip-Up.”
Taking some chik’n strips from the freezer, a few Turkish figs and a bit of chopped walnuts, I came up with the highlight of a salad. Moving away from our go-to homemade balsamic dressing, I grabbed some strawberries I just bought and tried my hand at a new dressing. It was a bit of a spin off of a Homemade Blueberry Balsamic Vinaigrette I first made in 2009.
When Artichoke came home, everything was plated. Salad and pizza, served with a couple of bottles of Pilsner from Brooklyn Brewery Co. (Local beer = GREAT). We started with the pizza, delicious as always. Then we went for the salad. I was surprised how good it turned out, especially with the figs and dressing. In fact, the salad must have been out of this world for Artichoke, because he ate 2 more servings of it. In fact, he now wants to use the dressing as a marinade!
SUCCESS for this “Quick Whip-Up!” Now here are the recipes.
Warm Chick’n & Fig Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette
Source: Macaroon’s Whim
- 1 pkg MorningStar Farms Meal Starters Chik’n Strips
- 4 dried Turkish figs, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- A dash of each: oregano, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper
- 1 large heart of Romaine lettuce, roughly chopped
- 6 Campari tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 c. chopped walnuts, toasted
- Strawberry vinaigrette (see recipe that follows)
- In a skillet, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil, then add garlic clove. Saute until browned
- Add chik’n strips and spices, and cook for about 5-7 minutes, then toss in figs. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- When done, remove from pan and place in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Wipe skillet clean and add chopped walnuts. Toast them on a medium-low heat for approximately 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
- In a large bowl, add Romaine lettuce and tomatoes.
- Add chik’n strips and figs mixture. Toss salad and add walnuts.
- Serve on individual plates and top with strawberry vinaigrette (approx. 2 tbsp per serving, but add more if you like)
- 1 c. sliced strawberries
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. thyme
- 1/4-1/2 tsp fennel seed
- 1-2 tbsp agave nectar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients into blender. Blend until well combined and smooth
- Use as dressing on salad or sandwich