What a good spouse Artichoke is! The other night, he made a delicious dinner of stuffed peppers, roasted brussel sprouts and sauteed string beans. Yeah, we were trying vegging out and with some of my favorite foods on the planet.
The string beans were pretty simple. There’s no set recipe for this. Using a package of haricot-verts Momma Macaroon gave to us, Artichoke put some olive oil in the pan with a couple of cloves of garlic. When the garlic started to brown, he tossed in the beans and added some salt and pepper. Cooked until tender, the beans were put into cold water and shocked! That was it! Easy, right?
Artichoke never had Brussels sprouts until we started dating way back in the day. I loved them! My grandmother and mom made them often, usually just boiling them with some butter and salt. Again, simple. The first time I made them for him, Artichoke couldn’t believe he missed out on them for so long. Now, he’s hooked!
Lately, I’ve been on a roasted Brussels sprout kick, especially after seeing a great recipe in Vegetarian Times over the summer. Since finding that recipe, I’ve found ways to modify it by adding or changing ingredients from the original. So here’s the recipe from VT with my modifications:
Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Source: Vegetarian Times, Nov/Dec Issue
- 2 lb. Brussels sprouts, large sprouts halved, small sprouts left whole
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 Tbs. maple syrup
- 2 Tbs. butter, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss Brussels sprouts with oil in large baking dish or on baking sheet, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Roast 45 minutes, or until tender, loosening sprouts from baking dish or sheet with spatula every 15 minutes, if necessary.
- Transfer to serving bowl and toss with maple syrup and butter, if using.
Yummy Stuffed Peppers
Source: The Macachoke Kitchen
- 12 mini peppers
- 1C. brown rice
- 1/4C. sweet green peas
- 1/4C. pasta sauce
- 2Tbs. vegan Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut the tops off of the peppers and cut along one slide of each. Set aside
- In a medium bowl, mix other ingredients together
- Take mixture and stuff into peppers
- Place peppers on baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes