A couple of weeks ago, we wrote about a great find, Dandies Marshmallows! We finally put them to the test with a childhood favorite of mine, Rice Krispie Treats. There pretty much isn’t much of a difference in how you make them, but I did follow a quick recipe from VegWeb.com.
In place of the traditional stuff from Kellogg’s, we used some Nature’s Path Rice Puff Cereal. To help melt down the marshmallow, we followed the recipe and used Earth Balance. Other than that, there isn’t much else to it. The end result was a nice, sticky treat, which I cut into 12 bars.
Here’s the recipe:
Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 (10-ounce) bag Dandies Vegan Marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 4 cups puffed rice cereal
1. In a large pot over medium heat, combine marshmallows and margarine; melt, stirring occasionally.
2. Add cereal; immediately stir together until thoroughly mixed, then remove from heat.
3. Spread mixture in a 13″ x 9″ pan; spread out evenly.
Source of recipe: Recreated a vegan version of the rice krispie treats on the side of the rice krispie cereal box.
Makes: 8 servings, Preparation time: 2 minutes, Cooking time: 10 minutes