Thursday was the Artichoke’s birthday. And man, did he get spoiled big time with gifts. Plus, my mom took him out for a fancy-shmancy dinner. Well, all wasn’t complete, because one thing he really wanted was a loaf of banana bread. Weird, right? But he loves the stuff!
He did specify that he wanted it to be vegan, because he doesn’t eat eggs. Thanks to a great recipe I found at VegWeb.com, I was able to come through for him with one of the best banana breads I ever made or eaten. The ingredients may be slightly unconventional for a baked good, but you would think it was “authentic.”
Dont-Look-Any-Further Banana Bread
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- soy milk
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/4 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 medium bananas, mashed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease/spray a 9 inch square baking pan; set aside. (From Macaroon – I used a 9″ loaf pan)
- Put one teaspoon vinegar in a liquid measuring cup and add enough soy milk to equal 1/4 cup; mix together and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients together; set aside. In another bowl, beat oil, vanilla, and bananas. Gradually add in dry ingredients as well as the soy milk mixture. Beat until smooth.
- Pour batter into pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes until brown on top and toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Serve warm, if desired (From Macaroon – the bake time for me was 45-50 min).
*Notes: You can add nuts or desired spices (like cinnamon). This can also be made in a standard size loaf pan (adjust cooking time accordingly).