Carlo and I have been dying to make Moroccan food since we returned from our honeymoon. We really wanted to try a dish with preserved lemons. Since we made the lemon tart last weekend, we had a ton of lemons left over. So today, I thought I’d go for it. I came across the following recipe from RecipeZaar (LOVE THAT SITE) and got started. Knowing that this will take some time, I will post results next week when I use them for a dish.
- 2 1/2-3 lbs lemon (10 to 12)
- 2/3 cup coarse salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Blanch 6 lemons in boiling water 5 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, cut lemons into 8 wedges each and discard seeds.
- Toss with salt in a bowl and pack into jar.
- Squeeze enough juice from remaining lemons to measure 1 cup.
- Add enough juice to cover lemons and cover jar with lid.
- Let stand at room temperature, shaking gently once a day, 5 days.
- Add oil and chill. (Will add this on Thursday or Friday)
- Preserved lemons keep, chilled, up to 1 year.