Being new to food blogging, I’ve become really interested in challenges. For March, the blog Masterbaker’s Weblog, the challenge surrounded Easter candy. My favorite are gourmet jelly beans (i.e. Jelly Belly). So I embarked on my first challenge.
After looking at various recipes, I actually came across a quick and easy non-bake dessert from Recipezaar that was just too cute. Who would of thought of making a totally edible Easter basket?!?! I just had to make these as little gifts for my niece and younger cousins for Easter.
Here’s the recipe:
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 cups crunchy chow mein noodles
- cooking spray
- jelly beans(or any egg shaped candy)
- Over medium heat, combine marshmallows and butter in a large saucepan.
- Stir until melted.
- Add noodles and stir to completely coat the noodles.
- Spray 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- With buttered hands place about 1 tablespoon of mixture into muffin cups and shape with hands to form”nests”. THIS IS A MUST!!! I cut a tbsp of butter and kept greasing my hands after making each nests. The mixture was really sticky. So much fun.
- Refrigerate til set.
- Fill nests with jelly beans.
NOTE: I mixed about 1.5 tbsp of shredded coconut with 1 to 2 drops of green food coloring to make the “grass.”
I just tried one a few minutes ago. They are sooooooo good! The marshmallow with the chow mein noodles came out even better than a Rice Krispies treat. I had a lot fun eating each jelly bean and guessing the flavor. I’m in Easter bunny ecstacy right now.
These may become my annual Easter treat for friends and family.