After Carlo’s Hungarian goulash feast (post still to come), we felt like having some dessert. So I decided that I’d try something new. Hence, the choco-cinn honey blondies. We both really loved the taste (Carlo kept eating the raw dough), and for a first run, the consistency wasn’t too bad, but it could have been better (It was a little too dry – Carlo thinks that honey may have started to crystalize due to the baking time). It’s definitely something I’m going to work on over time.
INGREDIENTS (What I used)
- 3/4 c. of unsalted butter
- 1/2 c. of orange blossom honey We recommend probably using 3/4 to 1c. of honey.
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp of vanilla
- 1/4-1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 2 c. of flour
- 1/2 tsp. of baking powder
1/2 c. of semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 c. of chopped pecans
- 1-2 tsp of unsweetened cocoa This is too much. You should probably use no more than 1tsp and that could be pushing it.
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees
- Cream together the butter and honey until smooth
- Mix in the egg, vanilla and cinnamon until well blended
- Gradually add the flour, a 1/2 c. at a time
- Add the baking powder
- Fold in the chips and pecans
- Grease a 9×9 brownie pan
- Spread mixture evenly into pan
- Sprinkle cocoa powder on top
- Bake for 30-35 minutes For the first run, we did it at 40 minutes, but we felt that was too long, especially with honey in the mixture. You probably should do a toothpick test after 25 minutes.
- When baked, flip onto a wire rack to cook
- Cut however you wish and enjoy!
Stumptown is a coffee roaster based in Portland, OR. You can order their beans at http://www.buystumptowncoffee.com/. Carlo and I both recommend the Ethiopia Biloya Natural. The best coffee I’ve had yet.
Stew Leonard’s is a small chain of super-super markets based in CT, with one NY location in Yonkers. I don’t think you can order their coffee online, but if you are in the area, definitely get yourself some of their Danish Pastry beans.